The Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon was conceived as an improved version of the company's PV-1 Ventura medium bomber and used by the US Navy during WWII.
The improvements included a completely redesigned tail assembly for better ground handling and single engine performance. Fuel capacity was increased from 1,607 US gallons in the PV-1 to 1,863 US gallons by the installation of integrated fuel
tanks in the wing outer panels. Wing span was also increased by 9 feet 6 inches.
The US Navy placed an order for 500 PV-2s on 30 June 1943. The first flight came on December 3, 1943, and deliveries began in March 1944. A serious problem was discovered with the integrated wing fuel tanks: the wings wrinkled and the tanks leaked. A complete redesign of the wing was necessitated and delayed entry of the PV-2 into service. The 30, PV-2s already delivered were used for training purposes under the designation PV-2C. The remaining 470 aircraft were produced with standard self-sealing tanks inside the wings.
The PV-2 entered combat in March of 1945 when Patrol Bombing Squadron 139 (VPB-139) returned to the Aleutian Islands, Alaska for a second tour of duty after having converted to Harpoons from Venturas. The combat use of the Harpoon by the Navy was fairly brief, and was cut short by the end of the war in the Pacific. The Navy continued to use the Harpoon until 1948 when the last PV-2 was retired from service.
After WWII many PV-2s were converted to executive transport. Their load carrying ability and fast speed made them ideal for the purpose.
The Cavanaugh Flight Museum's PV-2D Bureau Number 84060 is currently disassembled and in storage awaiting restoration.
|ENGINE||Two Pratt & Whitney R-2800 developing 2,000 h.p, each|
|ARMAMENT||8-.50 cal machine guns in nose, 2-.50 cal machine guns in dorsal turret, 2-.50 cal machine guns in tail tunnel 8-5in HVAR Rockets or ; 4,000 lbs. total ordnance|
|WING SPAN||74 feet, 11 inches|
|LENGTH||52 feet, 1.5 inches|
|HEIGHT||18 feet, 3 inches|
|MAX TAKEOFF WEIGHT||36,000 pounds|
|MANUFACTURED BY||Lockheed Aircraft Corporation|
|TOTAL PV-2s BUILT||Over 500|
|MUSEUM'S AIRCRAFT BUILT||1945|
|IN STORAGE AT||Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Addison Airport (KADS), Dallas, Texas|
|MAXIMUM SPEED||282 m.p.h.|
|SERVICE CEILING||23,900 feet|