The Lockheed L-1329 JetStar originated as a private project within Lockheed, for the United States Air Force. Although the USAF project cancelled, Lockheed decided to continue the project for the emerging business jet market.
The JetStar had its first flight on September 4, 1957 and has the distinction of being the first dedicated business jet to enter service.
Although the original USAF project cancelled, Lockheed did produce sixteen aircraft for the United States Air Force as the C-140. In 1962, five C-140As entered service as flight Inspection aircraft to perform airborne testing of airport navigational aids; they remained in service until the early 1990s. The C-140B entered service in 1961 to transport personnel by the Military Airlift Command. Five were produced as the C-140B and six were produced as VC-140B VIP transport. During the 1970s and 1980s, they often served as Air Force One.
In the 1970s, due to noise regulations in the United States and high fuel consumption, Lockheed developed a modification program for the JetStar. The 731 JetStar used the Garrett TFE 731 Turbofan engine and redesigned external fuel tanks. The 731 JetStar modification program was so successful that Lockheed produced 40 new JetStars, designated the JetStar II, from 1976 through 1979.
The JetStar II on display, Serial No. 5204 was built by Lockheed in 1977. It was donated to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in 2009.
|ENGINES||Four PRATT & WHITNEY JT 12 or Garrett TFE 731 developing 3,300 lbs. thrust each|
|WING SPAN||54 feet 11 inches|
|LENGTH||60 feet, 5 inches|
|HEIGHT||20 feet, 5 inches|
|MAX TAKEOFF WEIGHT||42,000 pounds|
|MANUFACTURED BY||Lockheed Aircraft Corporation|
|MUSEUM'S AIRCRAFT BUILT||1977|
|ON DISPLAY AT||Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Addison Airport (KADS), Dallas, Texas|
|NORMAL CRUISE SPEED||530 m.p.h.|
|SERVICE CEILING||43,000 feet|