Built by Curtiss-Wright, the P-40 Warhawk was the U.S Army Air Force's standard fighter at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Although it could not match the performance of the Japanese A6M Zero or the German Me-109, the P-40's strong construction and heavy armament made it a competent foe for any Axis aircraft. Operating as part of the Chinese Air Force over mainland China, the American Volunteer Group (A.V.G.) -- better known as “The Flying Tigers” -- used their P-40s to win victories over nearly 300 Japanese planes from June 1941 to July 1942, while losing only 12 of their own in aerial combat.
Curtiss-Wright developed the P-40 Warhawk in the late 1930s to replace the Curtiss P-36. The XP-40 was basically a P-36 airframe refitted with an Allison V-1710 in-line engine instead of the P-36's Pratt and Whitney radial. In this configuration, the XP-40 boasted a top speed of 342 mph and beat both the Bell P-39 Airacobra and the Lockheed P-38 Lightning in the 1939 Army Air Corps (AAC) fighter fly-off. Though outdated by 1941, the P-40 saw extensive action in China, India, North Africa, Egypt, Russia and the Pacific. The aircraft received great acclaim from those who flew it. According to one P-40 pilot: “We couldn't outmaneuver [the Japanese] fighters, but we could out-dive them, and the Hawk would take more punishment than anything we met. It was a sturdy, fine airplane.” The P-40N was the last and fastest production variant of the Warhawk. By reducing the overall weight of the design, Curtiss managed to increase the P-40N's overall top speed to 378 mph. The P-40N was also fitted with a new canopy improving the pilot's visibility to the rear. A total of 5,219 P-40Ns were built making it the most numerous of the P-40 series.
The Cavanaugh Flight Museum's P-40N (serial number 44-7369) was constructed at the Curtiss-Wright plant in Buffalo, New York and was delivered to the Army Air Force (AAF.) on May 26,1944. The plane was sent in June 1944 to Peterson Army Air Field, Colorado Springs, Colorado and served with the 268th AAF Base Unit (Combat Crew Training Station-Fighter, Second Air Force). In March 1945, the aircraft was transferred to the 232nd AAF Base Unit (2nd A.F.), stationed at the Dalhart Army Air Field (Texas). In June 1945, the plane was disposed as surplus.
The P-40N was purchased by the museum in 1995 from Joseph Mabee, who had owned the aircraft since 1978. Today, the aircraft is painted in the scheme of Major General Charles R. Bond, Jr.'s No. 5 and is representative of P-40Bs and P-40Es flown by the Flying Tigers in the early days of World War II. The aircraft often appears at air shows across the country.
*This Aircraft is available for your airshow!*
|ENGINE||Allison V 1710-115 1,460 h.p.|
|ARMAMENT||Six .50 cal. machine guns & up to 500 lbs. of ordnance|
|WING SPAN||37 feet, 3.5 inches|
|LENGTH||33 feet, 3.72 inches|
|HEIGHT||12 feet, 4.5 inches|
|MAX TAKEOFF WEIGHT||8,850 pounds|
|TOTAL BUILT||Roughly 15,000|
|TOTAL EXISTING||Approximately 90|
|MUSEUM'S AIRCRAFT BUILT||May 1944|
|ON DISPLAY AT||Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Addison Airport (KADS), Dallas, Texas|
|MAXIMUM SPEED||378 m.p.h.|
|SERVICE CEILING||38,000 feet|