In late 1916, the Halberstadter Flugzeuwerke (airplane factory) began development of a new type of two seat fighter to fulfill a military requirement for a defensive patrol and pursuit aircraft. The new CL type aircraft were smaller than the existing C type and designed to escort reconnaissance aircraft.
The CL.II is a single engine biplane, with an all wooden structure. The fuselage is covered with thin plywood paneling and houses the crew of two in a single cockpit. It is armed with two fixed 7.92 mm (.312 in) machine guns for the pilot and a flexible 7.92 mm (.312 in) machine gun mounted on a raised ring mount, operated by a rear gunner.
After type testing with the military on May 7, 1917, the CL.II went into production and reached front line units by August 1917. With its excellent maneuverability, good climb rate, and wide field of view for the rear gunner, the CL.II received immediate acclaim. A total of 700 CL.IIs were built by mid 1918.
The CL.II on display is a full scale reproduction aircraft, built by Ronald J. Kitchen in 2009. It was added to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum collection in December 2012.
|ENGINE (ORIGINAL)||Mercedes D.III, 180 h.p.|
|ENGINE (AS DISPLAYED)||Ranger L-440, 200 h.p.|
Two 7.92 mm Spandau LMG 08/15 machine guns for pilot
One 7.92 mm LMG 14 machine gun for rear gunner
|WING SPAN||35 feet, 4 inches|
|LENGTH||23 feet, 11.5 inches|
|HEIGHT||9 feet, .5 inches|
|MAX TAKEOFF WEIGHT||2,495 pounds|
|MANUFACTURED BY||Halberstadter Flugzeugwerke|
|REPLICA BUILT BY||R.Kitchen|
|MUSEUM'S Dr.1 BUILT||2009|
|ON DISPLAY AT||Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Addison Airport (KADS), Dallas, Texas|
|MAXIMUM SPEED||102 m.p.h.|
|SERVICE CEILING||16,700 feet|